Washington, DC Metropolitan Area
Citizenship and Clearances
U.S. Citizens only.
Must be able to pass a background investigation.
Open Technology Group is looking for an experienced Network Engineer to execute short-term networking projects for a variety of government clients on an as-needed basis. The successful candidate will be a subject matter expert with routers, hubs, switches, network management software packages, virtual private networks, classified communications, DSL services, broadband, wireless devices and services, circuits (frame relay, T1, TLS, DSL), and other critical network components and have extensive hands-on experience installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting network infrastructure devices in a multi-vendor environment.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience installing,
configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting network
infrastructure devices in a real-world network environment
- CCNA and/or CCNP certification strongly preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a collaborative team
- Experience with Federal government is preferred, but not required
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide comprehensive support for LAN/WAN architecture, network devices, VPN appliances, and end-user network interfaces
- Participate in network construction efforts including the planning, installation, and testing of hardware and software for new network systems and services
- Secure router and switch configurations
- Use monitoring tools to collect and report on network performance
- Identify and correct network bottlenecks and other problems that could impact network performance
- Perform root cause analysis to isolate and identify problems or potential issues
- Coordinate with team members, subject matter experts, and vendors as necessary to troubleshoot and resolve network issues and outages
- Analyze LAN/WAN network performance data and make recommendations for improvements
- Research current and emerging network technologies and provide documented advice, technical guidance, and recommendations to improve network operations, functionality, control, and overall support
- Create complex network diagrams of current and future network systems
- Assist team members in developing procurement requests
- Prepare documentation of processes and procedures for accomplishing functional responsibilities
- Submit status and activity reports to the team leader or Government supervisor as required
Key Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong analysis and troubleshooting skills
- Ability and willingness to learn about new equipment and technologies as necessary to maintain proficiency with client-specific systems
- Planning and implementing basic network infrastructures
- Securing router and switch configurations using Cisco Access Control Lists (ACLs) or similar configuration methods
- Developing router and VLAN configurations, implementing Quality of Service (QOS), IPSEC, SSH, and other configurations using the Cisco IOS or similar network device operating system
- OSI model, TCP/IP, and TCP packet analysis
- LAN/WAN Technologies: Ethernet, Frame Relay, CDU/DSU, DSL, VPN, VLAN, fiber, UTP, transceivers, NTP, RADIUS, and DHCP
- Routing Protocols: BGP, OSPF, and RIP
- Network Analysis and Diagnosis Tools: Ethernet sniffers, Fluke or similar network analyzers, and Router Traffic Graphers
- Microsoft Visio
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, email your resume as an attachment in Microsoft Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Position Title in the subject line. In addition to work history, please be sure your resume highlights the following (as applicable): Technical Training and Certifications, Key Qualifications, Technical Proficiencies (including hardware, software, operating systems, servers, databases, languages, networks/protocols, tools and methodologies), Education, and Security Clearance.
About Open Technology Group
Open Technology Group is a small business providing information technology services to federal government clients. We are committed to innovation and dedicated to improving the efficiency of government operations with secure, reliable, and sustainable technology solutions. Despite differences in our roles, responsibilities, and locations, we are all united by a single set of core values that are truly the underpinning of our corporate culture. In addition to numerous professional development opportunities, Open Technology Group provides eligible employees with a comprehensive benefits packages that includes paid holidays and time off, employer-matching 401(k) retirement savings plan, medical, dental, and vision insurance, and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Open Technology Group is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs and not on race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, marital status, genetic status, family responsibilities, or any other factor protected by law.